8 Unknown facts about the oceans

The ocean is one our greatest assets we have just started to explore, we still only know a fraction of the waters covering our Earth. Take a deep breath and join us as we dive to our top (8) eight unknown facts you probably didn't hear about our oceans, waters and its inhabitants before. 

mariana trench deepest point on earth

1. More than 70% of our planet's surface is covered by OCEAN

The ocean is a huge mass of water that covers more than 70 percent of Earth. We, humans, can only see 20 percent of it. The remaining 80% is below us.

2. More than 80 percent of the OCEAN has never been explored

That's right. More than 80% of the ocean remains unexplored. Why? Because the intense pressures in the deep ocean make it an extremely difficult environment to explore.

“On a dive to the deepest point bottom of the ocean (7 miles deep) your body will experience over 1,000 times more pressure than at the surface." Fernandez said.

3. Around 600.000 marine species living in the OCEAN may still be undiscovered

There are many surprising awaiting in our oceans in the years ahead. It is unknown how many different species call the ocean their home. What we know for sure is that with oceans suffering from rising water temperatures, plastic pollution, water contamination scientist believe the number of species is dropping.

4. 50-80% of the oxygen production on Earth comes from the OCEAN

The oceans give us life, yet we give them plastic. Half of the oxygen available to us is produced by phytoplankton, algae that is located in the ocean's surface. But what is phytoplankton? They microscopic organisms that live in watery environments, both salty and fresh and are a key part of ocean ecosystems.

 "Every other breath comes from the ocean"

5. Less than 8 percent of the OCEAN is protected

In fact, only nearly 7.59 percent of the ocean is under-protection, that is equal to the size of North America. At REUCSE, we are working to raise this number from 7,59% to 30% worldwide before 2030.

6. The deepest point known on Earth is in the OCEAN

The deepest point on earth is in the Pacific Ocean, known as the Mariana Trench it is at 35,814 feet below sea level and it is considered the deepest point known on Earth.

7. 150 million metric tons of plastic can be found floating in our OCEAN

When we think of plastic in the ocean, we tend to think of it floating on the surface. In fact, it's so much more than that. There are around 150 metric tons of pieces of plastic debris in the ocean. 

Of that mass, 269,000 tons float on the surface, while some four billion plastic microfibers per square kilometer litter the deep ocean.

8. The OCEAN is 4 billion years old

Water has always remained a gas until the Earth cooled below 210 degrees Fahrenheit. When this happened, around 3.8 billion years ago, the water evaporated and condensed turning into rain which filled what are now our oceans.

Unknown Sea Creatures

REUCSE is on a mission to prove that for a for-profit company can do serious, dirty conservation work. Help us end the ocean plastic crisis by upcycling trash from the ocean into valuable products and materials.

Find out more: Our promise to our oceans.